What I got in Africa

I just returned from my holistic doc (my regular doc couldn't find anything, or even knew what test to perform) and found that my two-year stay in Africa resulted in a GI infection of Enterobacter Cloacae. I've had it for a year now - not fun stuff. My options were a heavy dose of gut blasting antibiotics, or a more natural treatment consisting of probiotics, grapefruit seed extract and other more natural and health boosting solutions. By my tone you could probably guess that I have NOT chosen the antibiotics; although it would have been quicker, easier, and certainly cheaper (in the short term). I had received the lab results (from Doctor's Data) and didn't want to wait the couple of weeks before my holistic doc appointment, so I increased my grapefruit seed extract and olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, plus a few other items like milk thistle to help my liver out. The difference has been impressive and my symptoms have 90% disappeared. My doctor said I was on the right track and suggested a few other supplements to help get it all as we certainly don't want a recurrence.
----------
9-4-08 Update: Things are going much better although I had a bit of a setback from an 8 foot fall and a fractured hip (Upper femoral neck fracture). The doc said it was the best fracture he had seen in a long time (my claim to fame?) and that my bones were strong and I must be in pretty good shape. Imediately after the fall, I took some Noni juice and have continued to do so as a pain killer - the stuff is supposed to be 70% as effective as morphine but is not addictive and has no adverse side effects. Plus it is a natural blood thinner - much better than aspirin and more powerful agents such as warfarin, etc.; although I did dutifully give myself a daily shot of Arixtra that is designed to prevent deep vein thombitis (blood clot) after hip surgery - heart attacks and strokes I can do without!
I have not needed any pain killers before, after, or since the operation to pin the fracture and seem to be healing well. And did you know that pharmaceutical pain killers are also likely to hinder the healing of broken bones? Check it OUT. Here is a similar report from BBC.
----------

No comments: