Cataracts

Here is some information on cataracts - some of which I wish I'd known many years ago!

What is a cataract? And what does it look like? Go HERE (good site with pictures).

I just had cataract surgery after having worn glasses for the past 50 or so years.

Here is a long audio (51 min) on what you can do to prevent cataracts. Or, go to the same website and read the important points below the audio player first.

Want to know what cataract surgery looks like today - check it out. (Video)

Do you have cataracts and wonder what to do?
1. Most insurance (US) will cover the surgery and lens replacement with a monocular lens.
2. If you have severe astigmatism, are extremely near sighted, or have other eye conditions other than presbyopia, nearsightedness, or farsightedness you may have to get a more complicated (and expensive) lens. Talk to your opthalmologist about what he recommends.
3. You may also opt to get a 'premium' ($$) lens such as:
. a. Multifocal lens (see below).
. b. Accommodating lens (also below).

c. Mix & Match, or a combination of the different lenses. One in one eye, another kind in the other eye.

Types of lenses:
1. Monofocal: Corrects vision for one distance - usually far vision, then you have to use reading glasses or similar for close up. But if you do most of your work up close you could get a monofocal lens that corrects for up close and glasses for medium and far vision. It is possible to have one eye focused for far and the other for near - this is called monovision. This has been successful with people using contact lenses, but I've not talked to anyone who has had monovision using implants or "IOL's". I was initially considering it, but decided to go for the more expensive multifocal ReSTOR lens.
2. Multifocal: There are three contenders here at this time - Tecnis, ReZoom and ReSTOR. For me it was a toss-up between the Tecnis and the ReSTOR. As I understood it, the Tecnis gave better near vision in dim light than the ReSTOR, but more glare from headlights in night driving. I finally went with the ReSTOR. And it may be the doctor just likes those better, it's a hard decision to make - especially since you can only do it once!
3. Accomodating: This is the Crystalens. It is supposed to work just like your lens did when you were younger and be able to change shape as it is hooked to the same muscles that focused your natural lens once upon a time. According to my doctor, he hasn't had such good luck with them and people end up with poor near focus as the lens tends to pop out of place and move forward. He will not use them.

Post-Op experience. As I'm writing this, I've only had my right eye done (next eye in a week) and I'm quite pleased with the results. At present (operation + 1 week) I can't see that well for reading. They say it will get better. My eye is not 20/20 far, 20/35 near, and the night glare of bright lights doesn't seem to be a bother. Before surgery I was in otherwise excellent health, not on any meds, and no other complications other than the cataracts.

No comments: