Hexavalent Chromium in your water supply

If you are one of the older generation, you may remember the movie Erin Brockovich staring Julia Roberts. It was about a little town just south of where I used to live - Hinckley, CA - that had twice the cancer rate of San Bernardino County. The problem was Hexavalent Chromium in the water supply that was causing the cancer. I'll not go over the movie, but its still a problem in spite of the popularity of the movie.
My attention was drawn to this by a recent study of 'Hexachrome' in city water supplies.
Here is a chart of what was found:

Wikipedia also gives an interesting post.
I think that is where I hunted down the chart.
Hinckley, CA had Hexachrome levels varying from 1.19 to 31.8 ppb (parts per billion).
The red vertical line is a proposed 'safe' level by the California EPA.
While poking around, I found the real Erin Brockovich is still fighting the battle.
And don't press the US EPA for any great wisdom. They have set a level of total chromium at 100 ppm and seem to be happy with that. And they don't seem to bother with the difference between the cancer causing hexavalent chromiun and the trivalent chromium essential for health. I've used it to reduce insulin resistance to ensure I am not one of those diabetes statistics.

No comments: